Suggested Reading: What is a Scenario?
Nessus is a commercial tool and therefore a valid license is necessary to activate its Scenario.
Tool Specific Permissions
Tenable’s Nessus offers a comprehensive set of application security scans. ZeroNorth integrates with Nessus, providing a way to orchestrate/automate Nessus scans of your infrastructure and applications.
- Access and connectivity to the Nessus server
- API “Access Key” and “Secret Key” to the Nessus server
Activate Nessus Scenario
- Login to the web UI and then go to zn ADM > Scenarios .
- Locate the Nessus Scenario tile.
- Click on +Add Scenario to the bottom right of the tile.
- Select Scenario Configuration “nessus-web-application-test”
Items in bold are required.
Name (see our Scenario Name Recommendations)
API URL - this is typically something like “https://nessus.mycompany.com:8834”
API Key - Nessus API Key, a 64-character hexadecimal value
API Secret - Nessus API Secret, also a 64-character hexadecimal value
- Scenario will become available as a drop down when creating a Policy
- Scenario tile will change from “inactive” to “active”
Using Custom Nessus Policies
If you have a custom policy in your Nessus server that you want to use as a ZeroNorth Scenario, you can create a Custom Template in ZeroNorth which can then be used to activate a Scenario:
- Login to the ZeroNorth web UI and then go to zn ADM > Scenarios .
- Locate “Nessus” under Products .
- Click on the Nessus icon.
- In the subsequent screen, click on Add Custom Template
- In the Scenario Template input panel, enter:
Integration Type - select this based on the type of scan that custom Nessus policy is. For example, select “instance” for a web application scan.
Nessus template ID - the UUID of the Nessus template
Nessus policy ID - the ID of the Nessus policy you want to use
- Click Save .
The template is now available for use in activating a Scenario.