Upgrading an old version of Drone Server to the latest version is a straightforward process, but it requires some preparation and attention to detail to ensure that the upgrade goes smoothly. Here are the steps you can follow to upgrade an old version of Drone Server to the latest version:
- Check the release notes for breaking changes: Before upgrading, it’s important to check the release notes for any breaking changes or important information that you should be aware of. Make sure to read the release notes for all versions between your current version and the latest version.
- Back up your Drone Server data: Before upgrading, it’s a good idea to back up your Drone Server data, including the database and any important configuration files. This will ensure that you can easily restore your Drone Server if anything goes wrong during the upgrade process.
- Update your Drone Server configuration: To upgrade your Drone Server, you’ll need to update your configuration file to use the latest version of the Drone Server image. You should also check if there are any changes to the configuration file, such as new or updated environment variables, that you need to apply.
- Stop the old Drone Server: Stop the old Drone Server before upgrading to the latest version. You can do this by running the command that you used to start your Drone Server with the
- Pull the latest Drone Server image: Pull the latest version of the Drone Server image from the Docker registry using the following command:
docker pull drone/drone:latest
- Start the new Drone Server: Start the new Drone Server with the updated configuration file using the command that you used to start your Drone Server.
- Verify that the new Drone Server is working: Verify that the new Drone Server is working correctly by checking the logs and making sure that all of your pipelines are running as expected.
By following these steps, you can safely and successfully upgrade your old Drone Server to the latest version. However, if you encounter any issues during the upgrade process, you may need to troubleshoot them by checking the logs or seeking help from the Drone community, if you have a Drone Enterprise License, Please, reach the Harness Support.